New Providence Memorial Library is lending physical books again, as well as offering virtual programming, video storytimes, and take and make crafts. If you're stumped on how to borrow library books without entering the library, we have created a few unique ways to help connect people to our stacks:
· Browse Our Shelves, an option on our website, allows you to display titles in different genres, age groups and collections such as New and Large Print. You can put holds on titles and get a feel for them by reading the plot summaries in the catalog records.
· Request Your Next 3 Books is a form that asks what you like to read. Our librarians will choose 3 books for you and put them on hold for pick up. We’ve had a great response and people are thrilled to discover new authors and titles that they would have otherwise not read.
· The Reading Recommendations section of our website summarizes resources and tools such as NoveList that you can use to find titles base on various criteria.
· Come and Window Shop! A selection of new books is displayed on shelving in our foyer. Call us or get somebody’s attention and tell us what you want. We’ll bring it out to you. This option has been very popular and got great reviews.Upcoming Library Events:
- September (all month) - It's National Library Card Signup Month! - Sign up online for a library card if you don't have one yet. Or request a FREE replacement card if yours has been lost or just gotten chewed up.
- September (all month) - TEEN Trick Shot Video Challenge - Record yourself landing amazing trick shots using books or other school supplies and share your videos with the library (NPMLVolunteers@gmail.com). TOP THREE submissions will be featured on the library's YouTube channel and other social media platforms and WINNER receives a free pre-release YA book!!
- September 24 @ 3:30PM - Virtual Fossil Dig - Join Paleontologist John Miller of Pearl Observatory LIVE on Zoom for a fun fossil dig! For children ages 6 and up. Email email@example.com for the live zoom link and instructions on when/where to pick up your fossil kit.
Our website: www.newprovidencelibrary.org
- Mon, Oct 5: Star Wars Surprise Book Boxes (grades 3-8) - signup using this Google form: https://forms.gle/
- Mon, Oct 5: Creepy Yarn Doll Take & Make Kits (grades 6-12) - Pick up your kit in the library foyer any time after 3:00PM on Monday, Oct 5. While supplies last.
- Tue, Oct 6: How Covid-19 Impacts College Admissions Webinar (High School) - Email to receive links for this CollegeWise webinar: smaisch@newprovidencelibrary.
- Mon-Fri, Oct 12-16: Battle of the YA Books for TEEN READ WEEK (all ages) - Vote for your favorite YA titles in our Battle of the Book bracket using Instagram or Facebook stories.
- Mon, Oct 12: Virtual Club Phoenix (all ages) - Watch anytime after 3:30pm on the library's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/
- Tue, Oct 13: Fairy Tale Forest Food Take & Make Kits (grades 2+) - Email to reserve a kit and arrange pickup: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wed, Oct 21: Pumpkin Patch Storytime on the Library front lawn (all ages) - Bring a blanket &/or chairs at 10:00am for storytime and singalong with Ms. Sam. Masks required for everyone age 5 and up. Weather permitting.
- Thu, Oct 22: Ghost Cornhole & Pumpkin Sharpie Decorating outside (grades 6-12) - Come at 3:30pm to have some fall fun outside. Email by Mon, Oct 19 to reserve materials. smaisch@newprovidencelibrary.
org. Masks required. *Rain date: Tues, Oct 27.
- Wed, Oct 28: Outdoor Scope Night (all ages) - Come at 6:00 to the library front lawn for a socially distances telescope night to view the Blue Moon! Bring blanket, chairs and picnic if you wish. Masks required for ages 5+. *Rain date: Thu, Oct 29.
@newprovlibrary on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
@newprovlibrary on Twitter: https://twitter.com/
@newprovlibrary on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/
New Providence Memorial Library on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/