Miss Kaitlyn Conlan, M.A.School Counselor(908) 464-4707 Ext.508
What is a School Counselor?
School Counselors address the academic, social, and emotional needs of ALL students. We work in partnership with students, parents, school staff and the community to help every student achieve academic and social success. The goal of a School Counselor is to help empower students with self-knowledge, positive interpersonal skills, and coping strategies for the issues that elementary children typically face.
What does a School Counselor do?
As the School Counselor at AWR, I perform the following roles in order to promote positive development in academic, career, and personal/social domains:
- Provide individual counseling as needed.
- Provide conflict resolution support to students as needed.
- Offer academic counseling to individual students as needed.
- Provide small Group counseling for students with a similar concern.
- Teach classroom lessons on a variety of topics.
- Consult with teachers and assist them in meeting student needs.
- Coordinate Character Education programs in the school.
- Co-Coordinate state testing programs.
- Consult with parents and assist them in meeting student needs.
- Provide information and resources to parents on a variety of issues.
At Allen W. Roberts, we encourage parents and students to utilize the services and expertise of the School Counselor. Parents may communicate with the School Counselor either by phone/email or by appointment during school hours.