Care & Maintenance
The iPad is the property of the New Providence School District and all users will follow all rules and regulations outlined on this website, in the New Providence’s Acceptable Use Policy, and in the Parent/Student iPad Agreement. Students are responsible for the general care of the iPad, the two-part charger, and the iPad cover they have been issued by the school.
- Cords and cables must be inserted carefully into the iPad to prevent damage.
- iPads must never be left in an unsupervised area.
- Keep the iPad away from food and drinks. It is recommended that the iPad not be used at the table during lunch.
- Students are responsible for keeping their iPad’s battery fully charged for school each day.
- Fully charged iPad batteries will typically accommodate 12–15 hours of use.
- Avoid charging the iPad overnight. Once the iPad is fully charged, remove it from the charger.
- iPads should never be left in a hot car or similar environment, damage to the battery will result.
- The protective cases provided with iPads have sufficient padding to protect the iPad from normal treatment and provide a suitable means for carrying the device in and out of school.
- iPads should never be removed from their protective cases.
- iPad cases furnished by the school must be returned with only normal wear and no alterations to avoid paying a replacement fee.
- Backpacks that hold other objects (such as folders and textbooks), should be packed appropriately to avoid placing too much pressure and weight on the iPad screen.
- The iPad screens can be damaged if subjected to rough treatment. The screens are particularly sensitive to damage from excessive pressure.
- Only use a clean, soft cloth to clean the screen, no cleansers of any type. Never spray the screen with glass cleaner.
- Do not lean on the top of the iPad when it is closed.
- Do not place anything near the iPad that could put pressure on the screen.
- Do not place anything in the carrying case that will press against the cover.
- Do not “bump” the iPad against lockers, walls, car doors, floors, etc. as it will eventually break the screen.
- Nothing should be placed on top of the iPad when stored.
- Students are encouraged to take their iPads home every day after school, regardless of whether or not they are needed.
- iPads should never be stored in a vehicle, especially in hot weather.
- Under no circumstances should iPads be left in unsupervised areas. Unsupervised areas include the school grounds, lunchroom, media center, locker rooms, unlocked classrooms, bathrooms, hallways, etc. Any iPad left in these areas is in danger of being stolen. If an iPad is found in an unsupervised area, it will be taken to the main office.
If the iPad is unaccounted for during the school day it must be reported to the main office immediately. All iPads are equipped with tracking software, which will be used to locate missing iPads. It may be the responsibility of the student and family to recover the lost iPad once the location is identified. However, if necessary the district and the New Providence Police will assist in recovery.
Outside of the regular school day, any cases of theft, vandalism, or other criminal acts, should be reported to the local police department immediately by the parent.
If the iPad is damaged, please complete the online form found under the media center web section and bring the iPad to the media center. No iPads will be accepted for repair without a completed and signed repair form. Never leave your iPad in the media center without giving it directly to Mrs. Nagle or Mrs. McGraw. All repairs will be processed as quickly as possible. A district loaner iPad will be provided until the student iPad is fixed. If the iPad is experiencing technical difficulties outside of regular school hours, you will need to wait until you return to school to have it fixed. Frequent damage to the iPad can result in losing take-home privileges.
If the two-part cord and plug are lost, stolen, or damaged, the student is responsible for purchasing an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) replacement from the local Apple store.