•  Frequently Asked Questions



    Q) How do I request a transcript in Naviance?

          Once a student is cleared to request transcripts they will click on the “Colleges” tab in Naviance, select “Colleges I am Applying To” and under that tab they should select “Request transcript”.


    Q) My Naviance and my Common Application account are not matching, what do I do?Account information is case sensitive. Make sure your account information is the same for both accounts. If you continue to have difficulty please see your counselor.


    Q) Does New Providence High School rank?

          No, New Providence High School does not rank. A rank in one school is not equivalent to the same rank in another school.


    Q) How do I apply to Rutgers?

       Rutgers uses a completely online process including self reported grades.  Transcript requests do not need to be put in Naviance. Transcripts are only sent to Rutgers once the student has decided to attend. Go to www. Rutgers.edu for more information.


    Q) Do I have to send SAT scores from Collegeboard?

         Yes, scores need to be sent to the colleges directly from Collegeboard.  A student may request scores at the time of test registration or after a test by contacting Collegeboard by phone or online. Scores sent from the high school are not considered “Official Scores”.


    Q) What about SAT II tests?

         A student can take the subject area tests if they wish, but it isn’t recommended unless the colleges they are applying to require them.


    Q) When should I take SAT II tests?

        A student can take an SAT II test at any time except the March test date. The best time to take it would be at the end of the course that corresponds to the test or in junior or senior year.


    Q) What is the ACT test?

        The ACT is a three hour multiple choice test in five subject areas: English, math, reading, science reasoning, and an optional writing section which when put together makes up a composite score. Check with individual colleges to see if they accept it.


    Q) Where do I find teacher recommendation/counselor recommendation forms on individual college websites?

          If you go to the undergraduate admissions tab look for an option to download forms. Print those forms out and give them to the appropriate person/ people.


     Q) Why can’t I request a transcript in Naviance?

         Before a senior can request a transcript in Naviance they need to do three things:

    1)      Return the “Grade 12 Records Release Form”

    2)      Sign off on the unofficial transcript

    3)      Fill out the FERPA Form in Naviance

      If you have completed those three items and continue to have difficulty, see your counselor.


    Q) How does an underclassman request a transcript for an enrichment or summer program?

          Download a paper transcript request form from the Guidance Webpage or stop in the Guidance Office to pick up a transcript request form. 

    Q) What is a FERPA Form?

       FERPA stands for Family Education Rights Privacy Act and controls access to documents such as letters of recommendation at a college admissions office.


    Q) What do I do if I have misplaced or forgotten my Naviance log in information?

        Contact your child’s guidance counselor.  They will be able to reset your user name and password.


    Q) Do teachers mail out their own letters of recommendation?

       It depends.  If you use the Common Application then the Guidance Office will send the letters electronically. If the college is not a Common Application school please give an addressed, stamped envelope to the teacher with the deadline and they will put it in the mail.  



Last Modified on September 3, 2015