FINANCIAL AID, LOANS, AND SCHOLARSHIPS
University of Notre Dame - Financial Aid Application Process (dates are specific to Notre Dame, but the explanation of the forms and procedures can be generalized)NPHS COLLEGE PLANNING CENTER - FINANCIAL PLANNING FOR COLLEGEAll New Providence High School families are invited to create an account with our College Planning Center. This allows you and your family to understand the options for saving for college and how much you would be expected to pay for each child based on your unique financial situation. Customized search results indicate the possible academic fit and how affordable it might be while offering additional strategies to reduce the cost.Here are some "quick links" from this program. However, by creating an account, you can access each of these features without having to re-enter your household information.
TYPES OF FINANCIAL AID
- Scholarships- Scholarships are generally merit based aid and does not need to be repaid
- Grants- Grants are generally need based and do not need to be repaid
- Loans- This is money that is expected to be repaid with interest.
- Subsidized- Interest is not calculated until you graduate college.
- Unsubsidized- Interest begins to accrue immediately upon disbursement.
- Work-Study- Work study allows students to work on campus and a portion of their pay is issued directly to the institution.
The difference between the Cost of Attendance (COA) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) equals how much need based funding is required for each year.
OUTSIDE LINKSU.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION SITES
- Financial Aid Guide - Official government guide to financial aid.
- FAFSA on the Web - Site where you can fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.
- PIN Website - Registration for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for use with federal student loan programs.
- Federal Student Financial Assistance - Variety of financial aid resources and information for students.
BEWARE of any companies that ask for any sort of payment. Remember that FAFSA has "free" in its title! Be sure you are on the government site.
OTHER FINANCIAL AID SITES
- CSS/Profile - Enables you to receive a profile application, which some colleges also require along with the FAFSA. The CollegeBoard provides a list of schools that require the CSS Profile.
- Domestic Undergraduate Need-Based and Merit Aid - Compiled by independent counselors in August 2018
- Fast Aid - Private-Sector Scholarships, Graduate Scholarships, Worldwide Scholarships, Fellowships, Grants and Free Undergraduate College Scholarship database
- Fin Aid! - A comprehensive guide to a wide variety of Financial Aid information.
- Financial Aid for Online Schools
- New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA)
- Peterson’s Financial Aid
The Counseling Office posts any scholarships that come our way on Naviance. Log on, Click "Colleges Home," then "Scholarship List."
FREE ONLINE SCHOLARSHIP SEARCHES
- Big Future
- Black Excel Scholarships - for African American Students
- College Funding Coach
- FinAid Scholarship Search - By Major Field Of Study
- Moolah Spot
- NJHESAA - Grants & Scholarships
- Sallie Mae
- Scholarship Monkey
- UNCF Scholarships - for Minority Students
FinAid.org provides information on how to identify scholarship scams, how to distinguish between legitimate and fraudulent organizations, how to protect yourself from scholarship scams, and what to do if you are scammed.